Sunday, May 18, 2008

Praise and Worship

For my TT a post down I listed the things/thoughts I have wanted to post about but have not gotten to. Today, as I was bloghopping (late TT visits and going through my blogrolls), I chanced upon http://www.gannsdeen.com/ and read beyond his TT post.

At first I only thought of linking to his page for his David Cook Always be my baby stream because although I followed AI this season, I missed the Mariah episode. I am rooting for Cook. Archuleta is adorable but really, Cook has got it.

Then I read about the best decision he's ever made.

Here's item 5 on my TT:
My thoughts on being a non-active Church member who does not attend Sunday mass (or any mass for that matter). I specifically want to dig through my thoughts and feelings about what I can do to be part of either the Youth movement or Sunday School. I know I have something to contribute, I'm just not making time.

See the connection? Okay, maybe you don't because it's all still in my head, and in my heart. This piece is probably just going to expose one part of it. I know there's more.

It started with the music. He's TT was about Christian songs that you should hear. One of which was his own composition. I listened to it and liked what I heard. Understand too that's it's early afternoon here and the toob is tuned to ASAP and they just had their GaryV 25th anniversary tribute/celebration. I have been singing along and my parents have had no choice but endure the sound of my voice. Hehe.

I went to an all-girl Catholic high school. Whether or not you were Catholic, you had to be around to attend the mass that would be celebrated every month or for every special occasion. I seriously didn't mind because the services were much like our own Church services, they provided an opportunity NOT to be studying, and I liked singing along and learning their Church songs. That was really what I enjoyed most about having to attend mass with a multitude of girls - praise and worship through song. Mass without singing is just plain boring for me.

At Church, we sing hymns and people read the music from the Hymnal. I like those too. There's also local, relatively recently composed songs that go into the Sunday Liturgy. I like listening to everyone's voice mingling with each other. As a kid I wondered whether the older people actually attended classes to learn those hymns, everyone just blended perfectly.

In Sunday School, we would listen to and learn Kids Praise (another memory of my Aunt I wanted to write about last month but didn't get to) - yes, Psalty was my friend and I am so going hunting for his CDs - the complete collection.

Really, isn't singing praises like 5 times more wonderful? I mean compared to just sitting and listening and reciting stuff at Church?

Anyway, so that's what got me to thinking (again) about what my beliefs are and how my faith manifests. I belong to a Church denomination that's fairly small - The Episcopal Church in the Philippines, part of the Anglican Communion. My family history is intertwined with this Church's history. Really, it's more like an extended family. That's what I like about our small Church, we are found scattered throughout the country from up north to down south, but it's all just like one big family. Growing up in what I consider the heart of the Church just gave me an awareness of its life.

I distinctly remember the last summer I spent active at Church. It was the summer we moved house. I was with the SKEP, the Church youth group, and we sat with the Cathedral choir. Really, I went to rehearsals and sang at the Sunday Mass. We even had an Easter Cantata, I think the first and last that it was done. We had an awesome conductor. I truly enjoyed that time. It made me think that perhaps that was my place, my ministry - in music.

1 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    Hi Vera! Ganns here! Thank you for passing by my blog, and for your very generous words on my music. I am honored and humbled, and happy to have a new online friend!

    Please allow me to encourage you on your search. The Word of God tells us, "Whether, then, you are eating or drinking, or whatever you are doing, let everything be done to the glory of God." (1 Cor 10:31)

    Where do you hear God calling you? Have you asked Him? Wherever he calls you to, whether it be youth, or Sunday school, or music, trust that He'll give you everything you need so you can do it to the best of your ability and His Name will be blessed.

    Personally, I like how you write. Who knows, maybe there's a place for you in your church's Communications team? Or you can start one!

    One last bit of encouragement: don't let the enemy - or naysaying peers - get the better of you if you decide to serve God. The Bible encourages you, "don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." (1Timothy 4:12)

    You're gonna be used awesomely and mightily, Vera. I can't wait to see it happen!

 

ss_blog_claim=9abd967768705f22f1b3f6d8aa283a1c ss_blog_claim=9abd967768705f22f1b3f6d8aa283a1c ~*~Made by Vera~*~ using papers and trim from Michelle Bennett's Safari kit and Trimmed (visit mbennett)